- Contact Information
- My Story
- Publications & Presentations
- Courses Taught
101 Hardin Hall
3310 Holdrege Street
Robert Stoddard is a professor emeritus in the School of Natural Resources and specializes in human geography, especially cultural geography and its subdivision relating to religion, and the geography of Asia, particularly South Asia (India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bhutan).Previously, professor Stoddard not only taught numerous courses relating to human geography, but he also engaged in research on the interactive effects of religion with economic, political, social and environmental characteristics. He concentrates on how religious beliefs and behavior influences affect and, in turn, are affected by numerous other phenomena.
His popular class, "Geography of Asia," which focused primarily on India, China and Japan, has been the basis for recent public lectures for continuing education. With the recent emergence of India and China as major economic powers, the need for understanding by Americans has increased greatly.
Professor Stoddard has been with the University of Nebraska since 1967. He has also held academic positions at Nebraska Wesleyan (1961-67); a Fulbright Lectureship at Tribhuvan University in Nepal (1975-76) and at the University of Colombo in Sri Lanka (1986).
- BA - Nebraska Wesleyan University (1950)
- MA - University of Nebraska (1960)
- PhD - University of Iowa (1966)
- 2009 - February – Establishment of "Gildersleeve-Stoddard-Stone Award for Service to Geographic Education awarded by Geographic Educators of Nebraska
- 2005 - April – Robert Stoddard Award for Service to GORABS
- 2002 - November – Outstanding International Scholar/Faculty Award awarded by UNL Alpha Phi Chapter, Honor Society of Phi Beta Delta
- 2002 - November – Establishment of "Robert Stoddard Award for Service to GORABS" awarded by Geography of Religion and Belief Systems Specialty Group, AAG
- 1992 – Distinguised Teaching Achievement Award awarded by National Council for Geographic Education
- 2003 – Establishment of "Bob and Sally Stoddard Student Scholarship Fund" awarded by Class of 57, Woodstock School
- Applied Climate and Spatial Science
Geographic Educators of Nebraska
- State Alliance Coordinator 1989-1995
Journal of Geography
- Editorial Board 1991-1998
Currently this page only displays grants that were awarded on 1/1/2009 to the present. If a grant was awarded prior to 1/1/2009 and is still active, it will not be displayed on this page.There no Grants found for this selection.