Twice as many bird species exist in the world than are currently recognized, according to a new study by Nebraska biologist Robert Zink and his colleagues. Beyond the groans of serious birders, the controversial finding has implications for evolutionary biology, understanding biodiversity and global conservation efforts.
The teamâ€™s findings appeared in the Nov. 23 issue of the journal PLOS ONE.
- McDermid, K.R., A. Snyman, F.J. Verreynne, J.P. Carroll, B.L. Penzhorn, and M.J. Yabsley. 2017. Surveillance for viral and parasitic pathogens in a vulnerable African lion (Panthera leo) population in the Northern Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana. Journal of Online
- Satterfield, L.C., J.J. Thompson, A. Snyman, L. Candelario, B. Rode, and J.P. Carroll. 2017. Estimating occurrence and detectability of a carnivore community in eastern Botswana using baited camera traps. African Journal of Wildlife Research 47: 32-46. Online
- Yu, X., S.N. Ellis-Felege, and J.P. Carroll. 2017. Parental risk-taking at natural Northern Bobwhite nests. Avian Biology Research 10:69-75. Online
- Allen C.R., Angeler, D.G., Fonaine, J.J., Garmestani, A.S., Chaine, N.M. 2017. Adaptive Management of Rangeland Systems. Nebraska Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit -- Staff Publications. 231. Online
- Allen, C.R., Birge, H.E., Angeler, D.G., Arnold, C.A., Chaffin, B.C., DeCaro, D., Garmestani, A.S., Gunderson, L.H. 2017. Quantifying uncertainty and tradeoffs in resilience assessments. Ecology and Society: in press.
- Benson, J.F., Loveless, K.M., Rutledge, L.Y., Patterson, B.R. 2017. Ungulate predation and ecological roles of wolves and coyotes in eastern North America. Ecological Applications. 0(0): 1–16 Online
- Bookshire, E.N.J., S. Gerber, W. Greene, R.A. Jones, and S.A. Thomas. 2017. Plant uptake and stream chemistry set global bounds on nitrogen gas emissions from humid tropical forests. Geophysical Research Letters doi: 10.1002/2017GL072867 Online
- Bundschuh, M., R. Schulz, R. Schafer, C.R. Allen, D.G. Angeler. 2017. esilience in Ecotoxicology: Toward a Multiple Equilibrium Concept. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 9999(9999):1-7. Online
- Covitt B.A., Dauer J.M., Anderson C.W. (2017) The Role of Practices in Scientific Literacy. Helping Students Make Sense of the World Using Next Generation Science and Engineering Practices. The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) Press: Arlingto Online
- Craig, R.K., Garmestani, A.S., Allen, C.R., Arnold, C.A., Birge, H.E., DeCaro, D.A., Fremier, A.K., Gosnell, H., Schlager, E. 2017. Balancing stability and flexibility in adaptive governance: the new challenges and a review of tools available. Ecology and