Twice as many bird species exist in the world than are currently recognized, according to a new study by Nebraska biologist Robert Zink and his colleagues. Beyond the groans of serious birders, the controversial finding has implications for evolutionary biology, understanding biodiversity and global conservation efforts.
The team’s findings appeared in the Nov. 23 issue of the journal PLOS ONE.
- Bancks, N., North E.A., Johnson, G.R. (2018). An analysis of agreement between volunteer- and researcher-collected urban tree inventory data. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 44(2). 73-85 Online
- Benson, J.F., Jorgensen, S.J., J.B. Sullivan, Winkler, C., White, C., Garcia-Rodriguez, E., Sosa-Nishizaki, O Lowe, C.G. 2018. Juvenile survival, competing risks, and spatial variation in mortality risk of a marine apex predator. Journal of Applied Ecolog Online
- Burnett, J.L., K.L. Pope, A. Wong, C.R. Allen, D.M. Haak, B.J. Stephen, and D.R. Uden. 2018. Thermal tolerance limits of the Chinese mysterysnail (Bellamya chinensis): Implications for management. American Malacological Bulletin 36:140-144. https://doi.or Online
- Cisterna, D. & Gotwals, A. W. (2018). Enactment of Ongoing Formative Assessment: Challenges and Opportunities for Professional Development and Practice. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 29(3), 200-222. Online
- Cisterna, D., Lipsitz, K., Hanuscin, D., De Araujo, Z. & Van Garderen, D. (2018). Supporting science teachers in creating lessons with explicit conceptual storylines. Innovations in Science Teacher Education, 3(1). Online
- Kaemingk, M.A., C.J. Chizinski, K.L. Hurley, and K. L. Pope. In press. Synchrony - an emergent property of recreational fisheries. Journal of Applied Ecology. Online
- Lee, M.B. and J.P. Carroll. 2018.Effects of patch size and basal area on avian taxonomic and functional diversity in pine forests: Implication for the influence of habitat quality on the species-area relationship. Ecology and Evolution (6/11/2018) Online
- Little, A. R., G. J. D'Angelo, C. H. Killmaster, K. L. Johannsen, and K. V. Miller. 2018. Understanding deer, bear, and forest trends in the northern Georgia mountains: the value of long-term data. Journal of the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wil Online
- Little, A. R., L. M. Conner, M. J. Chamberlain, N. P. Nibbelink, and R. J. Warren. 2018. Adult bobcat(Lynx rufus) habitat selection in a longleaf pine savanna. Ecological Processes DOI: 10.1186/s13717-018-0129-5 Online
- Lynch L., Dauer J.M., Babchuck W., Heng-Moss T., Golick D. (2018) In Their Own Words: The Significance of Participant Perceptions in Assessing Entomology Citizen Science Learning Outcomes Using a Mixed Methods Approach. Insects 9(1):16. Online