Twice as many bird species exist in the world than are currently recognized, according to a new study by Nebraska biologist Robert Zink and his colleagues. Beyond the groans of serious birders, the controversial finding has implications for evolutionary biology, understanding biodiversity and global conservation efforts.
The team’s findings appeared in the Nov. 23 issue of the journal PLOS ONE.
- Andrews, M.T. (2019) Molecular interactions underpinning the phenotype of hibernation in mammals. J Exp Biol. 222, jeb160606.
- Burbach, M. E., & Reimers-Hild, C. (2019). Developing water leaders as catalysts for change: The Nebraska Water Leaders Academy. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 167, 6-22. Online
- Burbach, M. E., Floress, K., & Prokopy, L. (2019). Catalyzing change: Social science for water resource management. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 167, 1-5. Online
- Czap, N.V., Czap, H.J., Banerjee, S., & Burbach, M. (2019). Encouraging farmersâ€™ participation in the Conservation Stewardship Program: A field experiment. Ecological Economics, 161, 130-143. Online
- Gilmore, T.E, Korus, J., Pennisi, L., Martin, D., Pekarek, K. (2019). Needs Assessment: Watershed Science for Water-Resources Directors submitted to the Journal of Extension, 57(4), Article 4RIB7. Online
- Haigh, T. R., Otkin, J.A., Mucia, A., Hayes, M., & Burbach, M. E. (2019). Drought early warning and the timing of range managersâ€™ drought response. Advances in Meteorology, 2019, Article 9461513. Online
- Haigh, T., Schacht, W., Knutson, C., Smart, A., Volesky, J., Allen, C., Hayes, M. J., Burbach, M. (2019). Socio-ecological determinants of drought impacts and coping strategies for ranching operations in the Great Plains. Rangeland Ecology and Management. Online
- Hoppe, I. R., Harrison, J. O., Raynor, E. J., Brown, M. B., Powell, L. A., Tyre, A. J. (2019). Temperature, wind, vegetation, and roads influence incubation patterns of Greater Prairie-Chickens (Tympanuchus cupido pinnatus) in the Nebraska Sandhills, USA. Online
- Johnson, G., Giblin, C., Murphy, R., North, E., and Rendahl, A. (2019). Boulevard Tree Failures During Wind Loading Events. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry 2019. 45(6):259â€“269 Online
- Kaemingk, M.A., C.J. Chizinski, C.R. Allen, and K.L. Pope. 2019. Ecosystem size predicts social-ecological dynamics. Ecology and Society 24(2):17. Online