Twice as many bird species exist in the world than are currently recognized, according to a new study by Nebraska biologist Robert Zink and his colleagues. Beyond the groans of serious birders, the controversial finding has implications for evolutionary biology, understanding biodiversity and global conservation efforts.
The team’s findings appeared in the Nov. 23 issue of the journal PLOS ONE.
- Bancks, N., North E.A., Johnson, G.R. (2018). An analysis of agreement between volunteer- and researcher-collected urban tree inventory data. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry. 44(2). 73-85 Online
- Benson, J.F., Jorgensen, S.J., J.B. Sullivan, Winkler, C., White, C., Garcia-Rodriguez, E., Sosa-Nishizaki, O Lowe, C.G. 2018. Juvenile survival, competing risks, and spatial variation in mortality risk of a marine apex predator. Journal of Applied Ecolog Online
- Burnett, J.L., K.L. Pope, A. Wong, C.R. Allen, D.M. Haak, B.J. Stephen, and D.R. Uden. 2018. Thermal tolerance limits of the Chinese mysterysnail (Bellamya chinensis): Implications for management. American Malacological Bulletin 36:140-144. https://doi.or Online
- Cisterna, D. & Gotwals, A. W. (2018). Enactment of Ongoing Formative Assessment: Challenges and Opportunities for Professional Development and Practice. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 29(3), 200-222. Online
- Cisterna, D., Lipsitz, K., Hanuscin, D., De Araujo, Z. & Van Garderen, D. (2018). Supporting science teachers in creating lessons with explicit conceptual storylines. Innovations in Science Teacher Education, 3(1). Online
- Kaemingk, M.A., C.J. Chizinski, K.L. Hurley, and K. L. Pope. In press. Synchrony an emergent property of recreational fisheries. Journal of Applied Ecology. Online
- Lynch L., Dauer J.M., Babchuck W., Heng-Moss T., Golick D. (2018) In Their Own Words: The Significance of Participant Perceptions in Assessing Entomology Citizen Science Learning Outcomes Using a Mixed Methods Approach. Insects 9(1):16. Online
- Poletto, J. B., Cocherell, D. E., Ho, N., Cech, Jr, J. J., Klimley, P., Fangue, N. A. (2018). The effect of size on juvenile green sturgeon (Acipenser medirostris) behavior near water-diversion fish screens. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 101, 67-77. Online
- Roberts, C.P., D.R. Uden, D.R. Allen, and D. Twidwell. 2018. Doublethink and scale mismatch polarize policies for an invasive tree. PLoS ONE 13(3): e0189733. Online
- Sorensen, A.E., Corral, L., Dauer, J. M., Fontaine, J.T. (2018) Integrating authentic scientific research in a conservation course-based undergraduate research experience. Natural Sciences Education. Vol 47 doi:10.4195/nse2018.02.0004 Online