Graduate Student Handbook

Please contact Patty Swanson with comments or updates (
Return to the complete Graduate Student Handbook



  • Travel Contact - Hannah Kahler:,  237c North HARH, EC 0972   Phone: 402-472-5585
  • Travel Conact - Kyle Bogus:,  237b North HARH, EC 0972   Phone: 402-472-6703

When representing the University while traveling out of one's duty station, Pre-Trip Request must be completed via Concur travelfor approval in advance of the travel. A completed Pre-Trip Request must be routed and approved to request reimbursement. If you do not anticipate having expenses to be reimbursed, you are to submit a zero dollar trip request.

When traveling is of a personal nature, a TA is not required. You must complete and submit a leave request via Firefly prior to the travel.

Download here the University of Nebraska general travel policy guidelines. (Updated March 2019)

Basic Information about the Pre-Trip Authorization (TA)

  • For additional information including the most up-to-date IRS Standard Meal Allowance per diem rates and Mileage Reimbursement Rate, refer to Scroll to the bottom of the screen.


  • When traveling within the state, it is expected that you will drive either your personal vehicle (and be reimbursed for mileage) or rent a University vehicle; you must be approved as an authorized driver prior to the travel in order to receive reimbursement or rental privileges. See for additional information.

Student Trips

  • If a faculty member is sponsoring a class field trip or club trip, the sponsoring faculty is to describe the activity on their TA, and attach the completed Student Trip Insurance form as the class roster.
  • For additional information about student trips see
  • All students, whether they are employees or not, who are traveling beyond a 10-mile radius of campus must carry a minimum of $30,000 accidental death insurance and $2,500 medical cost reimbursement insurance. If they do not have this level of insurance and are traveling as an employee, they may purchase it through the Benefits Office, 32 Canfield Administration Building, 402-472-2600; the current rate is 25 cents per day. If they are traveling as part of a class or club, the faculty member sponsoring the activity may use school funds to purchase the insurance.
  • Additional information regarding student travel can be found at

Funds for Faculty Travel

  • See Funds for information about funds available to support faculty travel.

International Travel

A Pre-Trip Request is required prior to booking any international travel. All international flights must be booked via Travel and Transportation. Accounting will not reimburse for international flights booked personally, no exceptions.