Graduate Student Handbook
When representing the University while traveling out of state, a Pre-Trip Authorization (TA) must be completed, signed, and submitted to the Director for approval in advance of the travel. A completed TA must be on file to request reimbursement. If you do not anticipate having expenses to be reimbursed, you are to include the statement "No expense to the University" on the form.
NOTE: If you are a staff member and using funds provided by a faculty member, you must route the TA to the person providing funds for signature before it is routed to the Director.
When traveling is of a personal nature, a TA is not required. You must complete and submit a leave request via Firefly prior to the travel.
Basic Information about the Pre-Trip Authorization (TA)
- For additional information including the most up-to-date IRS Standard Meal Allowance per diem rates and Mileage Reimbursement Rate, refer to http://travel.unl.edu. Scroll to the bottom of the screen.
- When traveling within the state, it is expected that you will drive either your personal vehicle (and be reimbursed for mileage) or rent a University vehicle; you must be approved as an authorized driver prior to the travel in order to receive reimbursement or rental privileges. See http://bf.unl.edu/policies/transportation/driving_and_motor_vehicle_policy.pdf for additional information.
- If a faculty member is sponsoring a class field trip or club trip, the sponsoring faculty is to describe the activity on their TA, and attach the completed Student Trip Insurance form as the class roster.
- For additional information about student trips see http://hr.unl.edu/benefits/riskmanagement/studenttrip.shtml
- All students, whether they are employees or not, who are traveling beyond a 10-mile radius of campus must carry a minimum of $30,000 accidental death insurance and $2,500 medical cost reimbursement insurance. If they do not have this level of insurance and are traveling as an employee, they may purchase it through the Benefits Office, 32 Canfield Administration Building, 402-472-2600; the current rate is 25 cents per day. If they are traveling as part of a class or club, the faculty member sponsoring the activity may use school funds to purchase the insurance.
- Additional information regarding student travel can be found at http://travel.unl.edu/policies/travel-involving-students.
Funds for Faculty Travel
- See Funds for information about funds available to support faculty travel.