Graduate Student Handbook
- Graduate Admissions Coordinator - Patty Swanson: firstname.lastname@example.org, 102b HARH, EC 0921 Phone: 402-472-5355
- Sales and Events Manager - Jacki Loomis: email@example.com, 121a HARH, EC 0961 Phone: 402-472-7550
All master's students are required to complete a comprehensive examination -- written and/or oral as required by the appropriate academic department.
- The written exam, if required, must be completed within 24 months prior to the date of graduation.
- When an oral examination is required, the examining committee will consist of at least three members representing the major department and the minor department (if applicable), recommended by the major department and approved by Graduate Studies. NOTE: No outside member required.
- All professors on the examining committee must have Graduate Faculty status -- full or associate.
- If a committee member leaves the employ of the University or retires, a replacement should be appointed. When continuing expertise is needed and the faculty member is willing to continue serving, the departing faculty member may remain as a member or co-chair of the committee, with approval of the department Graduate Committee and Graduate Studies.
SNR requires a comprehensive examination is required of all students and covers the student's approved program of study. It generally will be administered within 10 months of graduation and typically in the semester prior to the one in which the student plans to graduate. The exam will consist of written and oral examinations administered by the adviser, as directed by the student's committee.
- Natural Resource Sciences: htttp://snr.unl.edu/gradstudent/degreerequirements.asp
It is the student's responsibility to work with their adviser and MS/MA/PhD specialist in Graduate Studies to obtain specific details. Refer to the Graduate Bulletin for further details.
- Masters: http://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/current/degrees/masters#memorandum
- Doctoral: Comprehensive Exam - https://catalog.unl.edu/graduate-professional/graduate/degrees/doctoral/
- Doctoral: Application for Candidacy - https://catalog.unl.edu/graduate-professional/graduate/degrees/doctoral/
Preparing for the Exam
- Contact the Graduate Admissions Coordinator to make sure all necessary paperwork in on file. Final Oral Examination and Thesis Defense Forms may be found on http://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/current/degrees
- Contact the Sales and Events Manager to reserve a room.