- IT Manager - Tri Tran: firstname.lastname@example.org, 226b South HARH, EC 0982 Phone: 402-472-8289
Employees and students will claim their university computer ID and password through UNL's Information Service Department. The IT Manager will use that information grant access on any SNR computer in Hardin Hall, e.g., the 24/7 computer lab (HarH 162), the computer teaching classrooms (HarH 141 and 142), the conference rooms (HarH 202, 207, 209, 901), the teacher's podium in the classrooms (HarH 163 and 228), teaching wet labs (HarH 023 and 024), and the Auditorium (HarH 107).
Internet and Email Services
As part of the SNR Hiring process, supervisors will be asked to provide computer and software needs to the SNR Information Technology (IT) Manager. The IT Manager or an assigned computer technician sets up the computer and will assist new employees with access to the internet, email, and printers.
After a new employee has been entered into the payroll system (SAP), the new employee will be asked to activate a UNL email account. Anyone with an appointment 6 months in length or greater must have a UNL email account. A supervisor may request that an employee with an appointment less than 6 months in duration have a UNL e-mail account.
All members of SNR with a computer login have access to a common network. This network allows us to share files and for our computers to be backed up.
All computers in classrooms, conference rooms and the auditorium are connected to the same network. When logging onto those machines, the same drives are accessed, based upon the login.
Each person has access to a P drive (personal drive), which only they can access by logging on with their ID/password and a Z drive, which all SNR Employees access; the Z drive is erased every Monday morning. Regular employees will have access to an S drive, which is used by SNR administration to provide employees with their job description, training records, course evaluations, etc.
Files saved to any networked drive, except the Z Drive, are backed up nightly. To recover a backed up file, contact the Information Technology (IT) group.
To provide optimum efficiency in computer support, SNR will require that all computer purchases be made through SNR Computer Support personnel and will be eligible for Tier 1 service. SNR Computer Support will maintain 99.9% or greater security for P drive, S drive, and network drives. Computers purchased without involvement of SNR Computing Support will be eligible for Tier 2 services; it is recommended that an outside business/person is used for software purchases and installation.
Computer purchased through SNR Computer Support (Tier 1)
- Computers will be chosen from a few select makes and models, determined by the SNR IT Manager.
- SNR Computer Support will provide data security with the P drive and network drives and offer a monthly backup of the C drive on each system.
- Full hardware support will be provided/available on each system.
Computers purchased without involvement of SNR Computer Support (Tier 2)
- SNR Computer Support will provide the following software for the user to install and configure:
- Symantec anti-virus
- Outlook/Office 365
- Office 2013
- VPN software, userid, and password for accessing network resources
- No additional software support. User is responsible to maintain copies of all software purchased and installed, in case it's needed later for reinstallation.
- No backup support. This is entirely the user's responsibility. If/when the system crashes; it is the user's responsibility to restore the system back to factory original specs. The user will have to reformat the hard drive and restore it to the day it was purchased, reinstall the software, and restore data from their backups.
- No mapping of network drives. Instructions, however, will be provided for the users to do it themselves.
- No hardware support.
- No trouble-shooting. If there is a problem or question, the user will deal directly with the factory and/or authorized service center.
- Hardware: computers, printers, color lasers, scanners, etc.: order, install/set up, maintain, update.
- Software: Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2013/2016, Symantec, Windows Update, etc.: order, install, maintain licenses, update.
- Network: activate ports; register Ethernet cards; assist wireless access; set up on UNL network; set up network laser printers; maintain login scripts; personal and group drives.
- Servers: file servers - personal and group drives; print servers - audit, track and restrict printing; web servers - host School and School-related web sites; backup servers.
- There are no charges for basic computer and audio-visual support services for SNR personnel during regular University hours.
- AV service during non-regular hours are billed at cost.
VPN (Virtual Private Network)
Contact the Information Technology (IT) group to get that setup on your computer.
Contact the Information Technology (IT) group to help you set up your computer.