Long Term and Recurring Volunteer Opportunities
The Nature Conservancy at Platte River Prairies
Looking for A Longer-Term Commitment? Need to build experience for a career in conservation? Looking for a summer get-away that allows you to give back to the world? Want to increase your knowledge of prairie ecology or natural history?
If you answered 'yes!' to any of these questions, consider volunteering with The Nature Conservancy at the Platte River Prairies in Nebraska! We are looking for a few dedicated people who are willing to give a month or more of their time between May and October each year. You can assist us with seed harvesting, native plant nursery work, invasive species control, fence repair and maintenance, research data collection, and inventory/monitoring of plant and animal populations. In most cases, we can provide housing during your stay, so your primary expenses would be limited to travel to our prairies and food.
We can tailor your experience to fit your individual needs and preferences. If you're a student looking for practical job experience, we will make sure you get hands-on practice with a wide variety of tools and techniques and can network with our partner organizations. If you're more interested in some components of our work than others, we'll do what we can to accommodate that. We can also help set up individual research or other projects if you want something more in-depth, or need something like that for college credit.
Anyone interested in volunteering with us can contact Mardell Jasnowski at (402) 694-4191 or by email for more information. We will ask for a resume and references, and will sort through applicants to find a slate of volunteers who match up well with our needs and capacity to provide a good experience for both parties. There is no deadline for applications - we will begin evaluating them as they come in.
Naturalists in the Park Program
Nebraska Game and Parks has a dozen or so paid Naturalists on staff around the state. Several are also certified Nebraska Master Naturalists. Some work seasonally and others work year round. They all could use your help as volunteers whether for a few hours or a whole season. The variety of of activities you could help with in great locations around Nebraska is endless! Below is a list of contacts across the state:
- Devin Rounds - Lincoln Region and Rock Creek Station SHP- email@example.com
- Tanna Dittmar – Two Rivers SRA– firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zach Kelley - E.T. Mahoney SP - email@example.com
- Michael Bates – Platte River SP– Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doug Wells – Platte River SP– email@example.com
- Bobbi Holm – Fremont State Lakes & Fort Atkinson SHP- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maria Kover – Ponca SP– email@example.com
- Alison Bleich – Lake McConaughy & Lake Ogallala – Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amanda Filipi – Wildcat Hills SRA & Fort Robinson SP– email@example.com
- Holly Green – Fort Kearney SRA– firstname.lastname@example.org