Project Products & Activities
In the Media
Wind Energy and Wildlife: Nebraska Strives for Coexistence - QUEST: Exploring the Science of Sustainability article.
Are Wildlife Concerns Limiting Wind Energy In Nebraska? - Nebraska Educational Television news article by Ariana Brocious
KZUM, Earth to Lincoln Radio Interview - In this 30 minute interview Chris, the "Bird Lady", and I talk about wind energy development and wildlife in Nebraska, the Nebraska Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, and a smattering of other topics.
Reports & Public Power District Factsheets:
Responses of Nebraska Public Power District, Omaha Public Power District, and Lincoln Electric System Customers to the 2013 Nebraska Annual Social Indicators Survey Wind Energy and Wildlife Questions. - Report comparing responses of customers from the three main PPD on wind energy and wildlife questions.
- 2013 Wind Energy & Wildlife Survey Results: Nebraska Public Power District
- 2013 Wind Energy & Wildlife Survey Results: Omaha Public Power District
- 2013 Wind Energy & Wildlife Survey Results: Lincoln Electric System
Responses of Nebraska Public Power District, Omaha Public Power District, and Lincoln Electric System Customers to the 2012 Nebraska Annual Social Indicators Survey Wind Energy and Wildlife Questions. - Report comparing responses of customers from the three main PPD on wind energy and wildlife questions.
- 2012 Wind Energy & Wildlife Survey Results: Nebraska Public Power District
- 2012 Wind Energy & Wildlife Survey Results: Omaha Public Power District
- 2012 Wind Energy & Wildlife Survey Results: Lincoln Electric System
Handouts & Educational Materials
Mitigation Guidelines for Wind Energy Development in Nebraska- Information sheet about the mitigation guidelines and the process to comment on the guidelines.
Nebraska Wind Energy and Wildlife - Brochure
Renewable Energy Development and Wildlife in Nebraska - Information sheet about wind, bioenergy, and solar energy developments in Nebraska, potential impacts to wildlife, and ways to avoid, minimize, and mitigate these impacts.
Bats of Nebraska - Information sheet about the bats in Nebraska and the impacts of wind energy and white-nose syndrome on bats across North America.
Navigating the Wildlife Consultation Process: Wind Energy in Nebraska - Contact information for the Nebraska Game and Park Commission and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service personnel in Nebraska and a suggested timeline for wind energy project and wildlife consultation progression.
Wind Energy Development and Wildlife in Nebraska- Fact Sheet
Endangered Species Day 2012 - Descriptions of a number of threatened or endangered species in Nebraska and the potential impacts of wind energy development.
Nebraska State Capitol building and wind turbine comparison - Visual display of the height of the capitol building compared to a wind turbine. Both are around 400 feet tall.
Area Swept by Wind Turbine Blades - Visual display of a football field overlaid on the blade swept area of a wind turbine. The total area swept by a turbine with 50 yard blades is 1.62 acres.
Nebraska Wind and Wildlife Coloring Page
Nebraska Wind Conference Materials
Nebraska Wind Conference: Wind - Wildlife Presenters, November 14, 2013 - Presenter contact information, presentation title, and biographies.
- Nebraskans' views of wind energy development and wildlife: Results of the 2012 and 2013 Nebraska Annual Social Indicators Survey - Caroline Jezierski, Nebraska Wind Energy and Wildlife Project
- Wildlife avoidance studies: the need to evaluate mechanisms - Larkin Powell, University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- Northern Long-eared Bat proposed for listing as endangered: Implications for wind energy development in Nebraska - Michelle Koch, Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
Nebraska Wind Conference: Wind - Wildlife Session Presenters 2012 - Presenter contact information, presentation title, and biographies.
- Eagles and Wind Energy: Understanding and Managing Risk - Emily Mix, Tetra Tech
- Navigating the Wildlife Consultation Process - Michelle Koch, Environmental Analyst Supervisor, Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
- Wind Development Project Reviews: Theatened and Endangered Species, Migratory Birds - Robert R. Harms & Martha C. Tacha, Wildlife Biologists, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Post-Construction Monitoring and Agency Collaboration on Nebraska Wind Farms - Maria Race, Director Environmental Services for Edison Mission Group
Siting of Wind Energy in Nebraska Symposium
This symposium examined development issues from the perspective of local land owners and protection of Nebraska's natural resources.
Recordings and presentations are available at: http://www.extension.unl.edu/wind-energy
Wind Energy Development & Wildlife in Nebraska
Outreach and Education
Regional HCP & EIS
Other State Programs
From Around the World
Nebraska Wind Energy and Wildlife News Archives
- December 11, 2014
- November 19, 2014
- November 5, 2014
- October 2, 2014
- September 16, 2014
- September 10, 2014 - Press Release
- August 25, 2014
- August 5, 2014
- July 22, 2014
- July 8, 2014
- June 26, 2014
- June 3, 2014
- May 21, 2014
- May 6, 2014
- April 4, 2014
- March 21, 2014
- March 4, 2014
- February 20, 2014
- February 6, 2014; Data Request for Acoustic Transects
- January 14, 2014
- January 2, 2014
- December 17, 2013
- December 4, 2013
- November 22, 2013
- November 8, 2013, Nebraska Wind Conference Wind-Wildlife Presenters
- October 22, 2013
- Ocotber 4, 2013
- September 24, 2013
- September 10, 2013
- August 13, 2013
- August 5, 2013
- July 16, 2013
- July 2, 2013
- June 14, 2013
- June 4, 2013
- May 21, 2013
- May 7, 2013
- Special Announcement: USFWS Eagle Conservation Plan Guidance released. April 29, 2013
- April 25, 2013
- April 8, 2013
- March 26, 2013
- March 12, 2013
- February 26, 2013
- February 12, 2013
- January 29, 2013
- January 16, 2013
- January 2, 2013
- December 18, 2012
- December 5, 2012
- November 19, 2012
- November 6, 2012
- October 11, 2012
- September 25, 2012
- September 11, 2011
- August 30, 2012
- August 14, 2012
- July 31, 2012
- July 17, 2012
- July 3, 2012
- June 19, 2012
- June 13, 2012 Special - WNS Fungus in Iowa; Iowa DNR News Release
- June 1, 2012
- May 21, 2012 - Happy Endangered Species Day
- May 2, 2012
- April 12, 2012
- April 2, 2012
- March 2, 2012
- February 13, 2012
- January 27, 2012
- January 20, 2012
- January 12, 2012
If you are using Internet Explorer and you cannot open the above boxes to review the listserv messages, click on the compatibility mode button in the address search bar.
- Open Comment Period for the Mitigation Guidelines for Wind Energy Development in Nebraska. Submit comments to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2015.
- 2014 Rangewide Indiana Bat Summer Survey Guidelines are available. These guidelines may also be used for Northern Long-eared Bat summer surveys.
- Northern Long-eared Bat Interium Conference and Planning Guidance is now available from the USFWS. The document addresses immediate information needs for section 7 conferences and conservation planning.
- AWEA Wind Project Siting Seminar will be in Austin, TX on March 10-11, 2015.
Project funding provided by the Wildlife Restoration Program
Bat research project funding provided by the Nebraska Environmental Trust
Are you interested in learning about potential impacts to a group of animals or about the different types of impacts? Enter the your topic of interest into the space above and click on the search button.