Robert E. Thomas Memorial Scholarship
Robert E. Thomas was a fisheries biologist for more than two decades with the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission. In his memory, the family of Robert E. Thomas and the Nebraska Chapter of the American Fisheries Society established Robert E. Thomas Memorial Scholarship.
The awards are open to junior or senior students who demonstrate a career path leading to the field of fishery resources. Beyond academic standing, applicants may demonstrate their interest and dedication by activities such as: the UNL Wildlife Club, student membership in the American Fisheries Society, or internships or volunteer work with a local, state, or federal natural resource agency.
Learn more about Robert E. Thomas
- Typically 1 per year
This scholarship will typically provide a monetary award (about $1,000) and membership to the American Fisheries Society and the Nebraska Chapter of the American Fisheries Society. For more information about how to apply contact:
402 Hardin Hall
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE 68502-0974
- Applicants must be actively enrolled in a university or college located in Nebraska with a major in fisheries or another major with an emphasis in fisheries, aquatic resources management or aquatic biology.
- Applicant must be entering their junior or senior year with academic credentials show outstanding promise for professional contributions in fisheries.
- A letter of application that includes a statement of the student’s leadership in conservation activities, professional goals and employment objectives
- A completed application form
- Current transcripts showing a 3.2 or better GPA with courses in biology, chemistry, and mathematics
- Show satisfactory progress toward a Bachelor of Science degree in a fisheries or related major. (Defined as registration for 12+ hours of graded courses per semester for the senior year)
Due Date: mid to late January, annually