SNR Undergraduate Student Handbook

Please Contact Sara Winn with comments or updates at

Search this page
  • Text Search:  

Academic Dishonesty, Policy Appeals, and Grade Appeals Policy


  • Director - John Carroll:,  903 HARH, EC 0989   Phone: 402-472-8368

Academic Dishonesty

Students are expected to adhere to the University's Code of Conduct (

Grade Appeals

In the event of a dispute involving NRES or WATS course grades, the student must first appeal to the instructor and, failing resolution with the instructor, to the SNR Undergraduate Committee (undergraduate level course) or SNR Graduate Committee (graduate level course), and then to the SNR Director in writing (in that order). If a satisfactory solution is not achieved at the School level, the student may appeal his or her case through the appropriate College Grade Appeals Committee using that body's process.

If a grade is appealed to the appropriate SNR Committee, the instructor must provide a written justification for the awarding of the grade. The student shall provide an account of the grounds for the grade appeal and evidence that the student has sought to resolve the case in consultation with the instructor.

Students appealing a course grade must do so within one semester (Fall or Spring) following the grade.

Policy or Policy Decision Appeals

A student wishing to appeal an NRES, WATS or SNR policy or policy decision must first discuss with his or her academic adviser the policy or decision in question. If a satisfactory solution is not achieved with the adviser, the student may request a decision from the SNR Undergraduate Committee (undergraduate student) or Graduate Committee (graduate student) and then the SNR Director (in that order). If a satisfactory solution is not achieved at the School level, the student may appeal his or her case through the appropriate College Dean's Office, using that body's appeal process.

Students appealing a policy decision must do so within one semester (Fall or Spring) following the decision.

Advising - Undergraduate Students


  • Natural Resources majors - Sara Winn:,  102d HARH, EC 0981   Phone: 402-472-0636


  • Advise undergraduate students majoring in Applied Climate Science, Environmental Restoration Science, Fisheries and Wildlife, Grassland Ecology and Management, Pre-Forestry, Water Science, and Undeclared Natural Resources.
  • Serve as liaison for incoming freshmen, transfer students, and international students.
  • Maintain course plans that show courses for each semester of a 4- or 5-year program.
  • Coordinate and track internships.
  • Maintain information for the Current Student website.

Faculty are expected to do career advising with the students.

Building Hours


  • Office Associate - Operations - Karen Gilbert:,  101 HARH, EC 0961   Phone: 402-472-8197

Hardin Hall's exterior doors and hallway doors are unlocked from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. They are locked evenings, weekends, and University Holidays.

Door schedules are adjusted to accommodate evening classes and events.


UNL Computer Use Policy


Students in majors coordinated by SNR will be authorized to access computers in HarH 148. The room does not have a printer.


Students are encouraged to use the PrintIt kiosks across campus.

Course Evaluations

Students are encouraged to complete course evaluations at the end of each semester. These are done electronically.

Course Syllabus

Each course instructor will provide a syllabus that describes details and expectations for the course. It is your responsibility to know what is in the syllabus.

Crime Prevention and Safety

In an effort to raise awareness for safety of individuals, university property, and personal property, the University of Nebraska Police Services Department and the Division of Student Affairs invite all students, faculty, staff, and visitors to review UNL policies on:

Getting Help

From time to time, all beings face challenges. Whether it’s hunger, shelter, finances, identity, discrimination, emotions, sensory, social, psychological or just uncertainty in our life course—we all face challenges. At times, we manage these challenges beautifully, at other times we may struggle, and at times, we suffer at the weight of these challenges. If you are feeling unsure, weighed down, or just want to be sure you are on track, we encourage you to reach out. Look at Big Red Resilience for events and resources to help you bounce back. Other possibilities include:

Food and Shelter Needs

  • Any student who has difficulty affording groceries or accessing sufficient food to eat every day, or who lacks a safe and stable place to live, and believes this may affect their performance in the course, is urged to visit the Huskers Helping Huskers Pantry in the city union. The pantry is a free resource with food and hygiene items, located in 348 City Union. Any current student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln who is in need can stop by the Huskers Helping Huskers Pantry to pick up free food and hygiene items and/or to get help connecting to university and community resources related to food and shelter insecurity.
  • If you live closer to East Campus, ConnectioN Point near 33rd and Holdrege has the OpeN Shelf food pantry
  • Please notify any SNR professor if you are comfortable in doing so.

GIS/Graphics Service Center


  • Develop and maintain survey-related GIS databases.
  • Develop GIS databases for faculty and staff research and projects.
  • Provide GIS support for faculty and staff research and projects.
  • Develop maps and graphics using GIS databases. Provide technical support for GIS software.
  • University contact for ESRI software/technical support.
  • Provide general and technical assistance for GPS.
  • Maintain handheld GPS units for general use.
  • Large format scanning and plotting.
  • Produce maps, graphics and high-quality illustrations and drawings.
  • Produce posters and slide presentations for professional meetings.
  • Produce flyers, brochures, hand-outs and displays.
  • Flat-bed scanning, slide scanning, lamination, foam board mounting and comb binding.


The GIS/Graphics Service Center is required to charge fees to cover the cost of operating expenses, equipment, materials and supplies. An hourly rate for these services has been determined based on equipment costs, depreciation, licensing fees and replacement needs. The hourly fee covers such expenses as phone lines, Internet connections, computers, large format plotter, large format scanner, laminator, printers and software and licensing fees. Additionally, all materials are charged at cost with no markup. The cost of materials covers such expenses as plotter paper, foam board, laminating film and other miscellaneous supplies. The following is a list of all fees charged through the GIS/Graphics Service Center.

  • Hourly rate – $6.00/hr.
  • Large format plotting
    • Plain, coated paper – $1.00/ft.
    • Glossy paper – $2.00/ft.
  • Color laser prints – $0.25/pg.
  • Lamination (glossy) – $ 0.30/ft.
  • Lamination (satin) (large format) – $ 1.50/ft.
  • Foam board
    • 30" x 40" (adhesive) – $7.00/ea.
    • 48" x 72" (adhesive) – $22.00/ea.
    • 40" x 60" (non-adhesive) – $5.00/ea.
  • Mylar – $2.00/ft.

Note: For long term projects, a customer may be referred to CALMIT to make use of their services.

Talk with the Graphics Specialist to get information on UNL logos and policies for appropriate use.

Go Green

Students are encouraged to recycle whenever possible. Recylcing containers are placed in lobbies and near classrooms throughout Hardin Hall.



  • Natural Resources Business Center (NRBC) Purchasing Specialist - Pat Wemhoff:,  237d HARH, EC 0972   Phone: 402-472-8726

Travel Insurance

Students traveling for a course or other University-sponsored trips will have health insurance coverage through UNL. The instructor must apply for UNL Student Trip Insurance, which willr equire the students to complete a form prior to the trip. This provides students with $2,500 of accidental medical and $30,000 of accidental death coverage.

For injuries or illnesses that are not related to courses of University-sponsored trips, students will need to use their personal health insurance coverage.

Library Services

The NCard (University ID) provides authorization to use the Library facilities. Library locations are below; additional information can be found at

UNL Libraries Location
(City Campus unless otherwise noted)
Love 13th & R Street
Architecture 308 Architecture Hall
C.Y. Thompson 38th & Holdrege (East Campus)
Engineering W203 Nebraska Hall
Geology 10 Bessey Hall
Mathematics 14 Avery Hall
Music 30 Westbrook Music Building
Schmid Law 152 McCollum Hall (East Campus)

Lost and Found


  • Office Associate - Operations - Karen Gilbert:,  101 HARH, EC 0961   Phone: 402-472-8197

The School of Natural Resources will hold Lost and Found items in Room 101 Hardin Hall (Nebraska Maps & More Store), for a period of 30 days. Items not claimed after 30 days will be forwarded to the UNL Police Department or disposed of in accordance with UNL Policy.

See UNL Campus Police Lost and Found policies.

Notary Service


Notaries in Hardin Hall.

Printing Information

Students are encouraged to use the PrintIt kiosks across campus.

Scheduling Conference Rooms, Classrooms, and Other Resources


  • Event Manager - Jacki Loomis:,  121a HARH, EC 0961   Phone: 402-472-7550
  • Graduate Admissions Coordinator - Patty Swanson:,  229D HARH, EC 0982   Phone: 402-472-5355
  • SNR Webmaster - A/V Computer Wallpaper - Mark Mesarch:,  913 HARH, EC 0989   Phone: 402-472-5904

If you need to make use of a Hardin Hall conference room or resources that are available for check out, contact the Sales and Event Manager. If you need to use a classroom, contact the Graduate Admissions Coordinator to make arrangements.

SNR room and resource reservations are available through the Outlook/Office 365 calendar. Availability of rooms/resources can be checked as well. Click here for reservation instructions.

Reservations for Classrooms, Teaching Labs, and the Auditorium require approval from the SNR Resources approvers. You will be notified if/when your request is approved or rejected, usually within 24 working hours. Researvations for uncontrolled rooms will be system approved upon entry if the space is available. Jacki Loomis is the primary approver for conference rooms and resouces. Patty Swanson is the primary approver for classrooms.

The table below shows that rooms available for reservation and their features.

Hardin Hall Conference Room Seating Capacity A/V Features Phone Line
107 128 main floor with tables, 242 balcony Networked computer, overhead projector, laser pointer, lavalier microphone, hand-held microphone None
202 10 Networked computer, overhead projector, Skype 402-472-7571
207 20 Networked computer, overhead projector, Skype 402-472-6664
209 20 Networked computer, overhead projector, Skype 402-472-8724
228 27 (seminar style) Networked computer, overhead projector, Skype None
901 40 Networked computer, overhead projector, Skype 402-472-6730
Faculty Collaboration Room
6 None None
919 4 None None

NOTE: The following rooms must be reserved through the personnel listed or approval will be sought from them:

Room Personnel to contact about a reservation
023 Graduate Admissions Coordinator
024 Graduate Admissions Coordinator
141 Graduate Admissions Coordinator
142 Graduate Admissions Coordinator
162 Graduate Admissions Coordinator
163 Graduate Admissions Coordinator

All computers in classrooms, conference rooms and the auditorium are networked. When logging onto those machines, the same drives are accessible as on their office computer. Audio/Visual and computer wallpaper can display SNR related activity pictures and information. Please contact the SNR Webmaster to submit information/images to post.

SNR Calendars


  • Events Coordinator - Jacki Loomis:,  121a HARH, EC 0961   Phone: 402-472-7550
  • Communications Associate - Shawna Richter-Ryerson:,  911 HARH, EC 0989   Phone: 402-472-6515

Today in SNR, the daily SNR calendar, is displayed on the monitors in the lobbies, posted near each elevator throughout Hardin Hall, and appears on the SNR Employee Information web page.

The SNR Calendar is intended to highlight events that the public is welcome to attend. It is also included in the College of Arts and Sciences calendar.

Information that is of a personal nature or not work-related may be posted in the Employee Lounge (204 Hardin Hall) and Student Lounge (239 Hardin Hall).

Vending Machines


  • Office Associates located in the Nebraska Maps & More Store: n/a,  101 HARH, EC 0961   Phone: 402-472-3471

Vending machines are available in the Tower Lobby of Hardin Hall and in 148 Hardin Hall (just north of the Hardin Hall North Wing Lobby).

Contact the Office Associate for Operations to reports problems with the vending machines and to receive monetary refunds when a product is not dispensed, due to a machine malfunction.