Graduate Student Handbook

NCard (Photo ID)


  • Office Associate - Operations - Karen Gilbert,, 914 South HARH EC 0989, Phone: 402-472-8197
  • Recruitment and Retention Coordinator, SNR Graduate Programs - Emma Hazel,, 911 South HARH EC 0989, Phone: 402-472-5355
  • Interim HR Contact - Natural Resources Business Center - Kyle Bogus,, 237a North HARH EC 0972, Phone: 402-472-6703

Your NCard is your student ID at Nebraska. It is used for identification, access to certain buildings and labs, and educational discounts. It also offers the optional service of purchasing items on campus.

To obtain your NCard, first register for classes and then take a current photo ID and your NU ID number to the NCard Office located in Room 121 of the Nebraska Union, 14th and R Streets, City Campus. Office hours are Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is a $20 issuance fee, which will be charged to your consolidated account. You will receive an e-mail notification that your consolidated account statement is available online for you to access via MyRed. If you were a UNL undergraduate, you do not need a new NCard.

Once your NCard is issued, you will be authorized to access Hardin Hall. Student authorization is established by the Office Associate for Operations (OAO).

The NCard is the Photo Identification for University employees, students, visiting personnel. Visiting personnel and others who require an NCard for building access or library use, but are not paid by the University, will receive an Affiliate NCard, which is white in color. NCards are used for identification, door/building access, library, obtaining parking permits and/or bus passes, campus recreation center, NCard charge account and educational discounts at area businesses. For a list of discounts, go to

Once your NCard is issued, you will be authorized to access Hardin Hall. Employee authorization is established by the Office Associate for Operations (OAO).

The NCard charge account can be used as a credit card at City and East Campus food vendors (a special application is required).

If your card is lost or damaged beyond normal wear-and-tear, a replacement fee of $20 is charged. A reduced replacement fee will be charged for stolen cards if accompanied by proof of theft, such as a police report or insurance claim form.

You are encouraged to get your NCard as soon as possible as it will be needed to obtain your parking permit, etc. To learn more about the NCard or credit card option, go to


If you are an employee, your NCard application will be provided by the Natural Resources Business Center (NRBC) HR Generalist, after you have been entered into our payroll system (SAP). If you are a visitor (not paid by UNL), your NCard application will be provided by your supervisor or the Alumni Coordinator after you complete a volunteer-affiliate form.

Troubleshooting for Building Access Problems

The NCard is based on proximity to the card reader. Most of our card readers can read the magnetic information through a purse, wallet, or backpack. Once the card is recognized and authorization is approved, a beep will sound, the reader light will turn green, and the door will unlock. If your NCard is recognized but not authorized, the reader will beep and the door will not unlock. If your NCard is not recognized, the reader light will continue to show red. This usually means the NCard has gone bad or someone has changed your NCard authorization. For problems, alert the Alumni Coordinator. Provide the door number, date, and approximate time you attempted to use your card, and they can check the system. You can also take your card to the NCard office to have them check it. Oftentimes, the card has "gone bad" and needs to be replaced, which can only be done at the NCard Office. This is considered normal wear-and-tear and will be replaced at no cost to you. If you have not completed your degree but are not registered for classes, your NCard access may be affected. Contact the Alumni Coordinator to resolve this.