Undergraduate Student Handbook

Please Contact Sara Winn with comments or updates at sara.winn@unl.edu

Category Filters:

Text Search:

Academic Dishonesty, Policy Appeals, and Grade Appeals Policy


  • Director - John Carroll, jcarroll2@unl.edu, 903 South HARH EC 0989, Phone: 402-472-8368

Academic Dishonesty

Students are expected to adhere to the University's Code of Conduct (http://stuafs.unl.edu/dos/code).

Grade Appeals

In the event of a dispute involving NRES or WATS course grades, the student must first appeal to the instructor and, failing resolution with the instructor, to the SNR Undergraduate Committee (undergraduate level course) or SNR Graduate Committee (graduate level course), and then to the SNR Director in writing (in that order). If a satisfactory solution is not achieved at the School level, the student may appeal his or her case through the appropriate College Grade Appeals Committee using that body's process.

If a grade is appealed to the appropriate SNR Committee, the instructor must provide a written justification for the awarding of the grade. The student shall provide an account of the grounds for the grade appeal and evidence that the student has sought to resolve the case in consultation with the instructor.

Students appealing a course grade must do so within one semester (Fall or Spring) following the grade.

Policy or Policy Decision Appeals

A student wishing to appeal an NRES, WATS or SNR policy or policy decision must first discuss with his or her academic adviser the policy or decision in question. If a satisfactory solution is not achieved with the adviser, the student may request a decision from the SNR Undergraduate Committee (undergraduate student) or Graduate Committee (graduate student) and then the SNR Director (in that order). If a satisfactory solution is not achieved at the School level, the student may appeal his or her case through the appropriate College Dean's Office, using that body's appeal process.

Students appealing a policy decision must do so within one semester (Fall or Spring) following the decision.

After-Hours Access to Hardin Hall


  • Ncard Access - Karen Gilbert, kgilbert5@unl.edu, 101 South HARH EC 0961, Phone: 402-472-8197

Karen Gilbert manages NCard access to Hardin Hall. Provide her with your NCard, and she will take care of your authorization based on the type of position you hold and rooms your supervisor has approved for you to access.

Computer recommendation for incoming SNR students


  • Computer Specialist - Gregg Hutchison, ghutchison2@unl.edu, 226b South HARH EC 0982, Phone: 402-472-5436
  • SNR Recruiter - Elyse Watson, elyse.watson@unl.edu, 102a South HARH EC 0981, Phone: 402-472-7471

ESRI ArcGIS is the most demanding software being taught in SNR classrooms. The software only runs on Windows-based computers, but it can be used on Apple computers with Bootcamp or Parallels (See SNR IT support for detailed instructions). SNR computer labs have this software installed and accessible to all SNR students 24/7. N-Card is required to access the labs after hours.

Here are the recommended specs for Windows laptops or desktops:

  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Core i5 or above
  • 8GB of RAM
  • 250 GB Hard Drive (or SSD) with at least 30 GB of free space

Here are the MINIMUM recommended specs for Macbooks or Apple desktops:

Windows 10 and Parallels licenses can be purchased at discounted prices from the Computers Store on City Campus Union.

Go to http://ccsfgis.org/workshops-other/2016/8/18/installing-arcgis-on-a-macfor detailed instructions for installing ArcGIS on your Macbook or Apple desktop. NOTE: If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, please stop by the SNR IT Support office (HH 226) or UNL Help Desk (Love Library's basement) for assistance.



  • University Computer Support - Huskertech Help Center, support@nebraska.edu, 17.5 (Basement) FOOD EC 0988, Phone: 402-472-3970
  • Computer Specialist - Gregg Hutchison, ghutchison2@unl.edu, 226b South HARH EC 0982, Phone: 402-472-5436

UNL Computer Use Policy


Employees and students will claim their university computer ID and password through UNL's Information Service Department. The Computer Specialist will use that information grant access on any SNR computer in Hardin Hall, e.g., the 24/7 computer lab (HarH 162), the computer teaching classrooms (HarH 141 and 142), the conference rooms (HarH 202, 207, 209, 901), the teacher's podium in the classrooms (HarH 163 and 228), teaching wet labs (HarH 023 and 024), and the Auditorium (HarH 107).

Internet and Email Services

As part of the SNR Onboarding process, supervisors are asked to provide computer and software needs. The Computer Specialist will set up the computer and assist new employees with access to the internet, email, and printers.

After a new employee has been entered into the payroll system (SAP), the new employee will be asked to activate a UNL email account. Anyone with an appointment 6 months in length or greater must have a UNL email account. A supervisor may request that an employee with an appointment less than 6 months in duration have a UNL e-mail account.


All members of SNR with a computer login have access to a common network. This network allows us to share files and for our computers to be backed up.

All computers in classrooms, conference rooms and the auditorium are connected to the same network. When logging onto those machines, the same drives are accessed, based upon the login.

Each person has access to a P drive (personal drive), which only they can access by logging on with their ID/password and a Z drive, which all SNR Employees access; the Z drive is erased every Monday morning. Regular employees will have access to an S drive, which is used by SNR administration to provide employees with their job description, training records, course evaluations, etc.

Files saved to any networked drive, except the Z Drive, are backed up nightly. To recover a backed up file, contact the Information Technology (IT) group.


To provide optimum efficiency in computer support, SNR will require that all computer purchases be made through SNR Computer Support personnel and will be eligible for Tier 1 service. SNR Computer Support will maintain 99.9% or greater security for P drive, S drive, and network drives. Computers purchased without involvement of SNR Computing Support will be eligible for Tier 2 services; it is recommended that an outside business/person is used for software purchases and installation.


Computer purchased through SNR Computer Support (Tier 1)

  1. Computers will be chosen from a few select makes and models, determined by the SNR IT Manager.
  2. SNR Computer Support will provide data security with the P drive and network drives and offer a monthly backup of the C drive on each system.
  3. Full hardware support will be provided/available on each system.

Computers purchased without involvement of SNR Computer Support (Tier 2)

  1. SNR Computer Support will provide the following software for the user to install and configure:
    • Symantec anti-virus
    • Outlook/Office 365
    • Office 2013
    • VPN software, userid, and password for accessing network resources
  2. No additional software support. User is responsible to maintain copies of all software purchased and installed, in case it's needed later for reinstallation.
  3. No backup support. This is entirely the user's responsibility. If/when the system crashes; it is the user's responsibility to restore the system back to factory original specs. The user will have to reformat the hard drive and restore it to the day it was purchased, reinstall the software, and restore data from their backups.
  4. No mapping of network drives. Instructions, however, will be provided for the users to do it themselves.
  5. No hardware support.
  6. No trouble-shooting. If there is a problem or question, the user will deal directly with the factory and/or authorized service center.


  • Services
    • Hardware: computers, printers, color lasers, scanners, etc.: order, install/set up, maintain, update.
    • Software: Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2013/2016, Symantec, Windows Update, etc.: order, install, maintain licenses, update.
    • Network: activate ports; register Ethernet cards; assist wireless access; set up on UNL network; set up network laser printers; maintain login scripts; personal and group drives.
    • Servers: file servers - personal and group drives; print servers - audit, track and restrict printing; web servers - host School and School-related web sites; backup servers.
  • Pricing
    • There are no charges for basic computer and audio-visual support services for SNR personnel during regular University hours.
    • AV service during non-regular hours are billed at cost.

VPN (Virtual Private Network)

Contact the Computer Specialist to get that setup on your computer.


Contact the Computer Specialist to help you set up your computer.

Course Evaluations

Students are encouraged to complete course evaluations at the end of each semester. These are done electronically.

Crime Prevention and Safety

In an effort to raise awareness for safety of individuals, university property, and personal property, the University of Nebraska Police Services Department and the Division of Student Affairs invite all students, faculty, staff, and visitors to review UNL policies on:

Getting Help

From time to time, all beings face challenges. Whether it’s hunger, shelter, finances, identity, discrimination, emotions, sensory, social, psychological or just uncertainty in our life course—we all face challenges. At times, we manage these challenges beautifully, at other times we may struggle, and at times, we suffer at the weight of these challenges. If you are feeling unsure, weighed down, or just want to be sure you are on track, we encourage you to reach out. Look at Big Red Resilience for events and resources to help you bounce back. https://resilience.unl.edu/. Other possibilities include:

Food and Shelter Needs

  • Any student who has difficulty affording groceries or accessing sufficient food to eat every day, or who lacks a safe and stable place to live, and believes this may affect their performance in the course, is urged to visit the Huskers Helping Huskers Pantry in the city union. https://pantry.unl.edu/welcome. The pantry is a free resource with food and hygiene items, located in 348 City Union. Any current student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln who is in need can stop by the Huskers Helping Huskers Pantry to pick up free food and hygiene items and/or to get help connecting to university and community resources related to food and shelter insecurity.
  • If you live closer to East Campus, ConnectioN Point near 33rd and Holdrege has the OpeN Shelf food pantry https://www.connectionpointlnk.org/open-shelf-food-pantry
  • Please notify any SNR professor if you are comfortable in doing so.

GIS/Graphics Service Center


  • Develop and maintain survey-related GIS databases.
  • Develop GIS databases for faculty and staff research and projects.
  • Provide GIS support for faculty and staff research and projects.
  • Develop maps and graphics using GIS databases. Provide technical support for GIS software.
  • University contact for ESRI software/technical support.
  • Provide general and technical assistance for GPS.
  • Maintain handheld GPS units for general use.
  • Large format scanning and plotting.
  • Produce maps, graphics and high-quality illustrations and drawings.
  • Produce posters and slide presentations for professional meetings.
  • Produce flyers, brochures, hand-outs and displays.
  • Flat-bed scanning, slide scanning, lamination, foam board mounting and comb binding.


The GIS/Graphics Service Center is required to charge fees to cover the cost of operating expenses, equipment, materials and supplies. An hourly rate for these services has been determined based on equipment costs, depreciation, licensing fees and replacement needs. The hourly fee covers such expenses as phone lines, Internet connections, computers, large format plotter, large format scanner, laminator, printers and software and licensing fees. Additionally, all materials are charged at cost with no markup. The cost of materials covers such expenses as plotter paper, foam board, laminating film and other miscellaneous supplies. The following is a list of all fees charged through the GIS/Graphics Service Center.

  • Hourly rate – $6.00/hr.
  • Large format plotting
    • Plain, coated paper – $1.00/ft.
    • Glossy paper – $2.00/ft.
  • Color laser prints – $0.25/pg.
  • Lamination (glossy) – $ 0.30/ft.
  • Lamination (satin) (large format) – $ 1.50/ft.
  • Foam board
    • 30" x 40" (adhesive) – $7.00/ea.
    • 48" x 72" (adhesive) – $22.00/ea.
    • 40" x 60" (non-adhesive) – $5.00/ea.
  • Mylar – $2.00/ft.

Note: For long term projects, a customer may be referred to CALMIT to make use of their services.

Talk with the Graphics Specialist to get information on UNL logos and policies for appropriate use.

Go Green - reduce, reuse, recycle!

Students are encouraged to recycle whenever possible. All in the Hall stations are placed in lobbies, hallways and near classrooms throughout Hardin Hall. Students are responsible for taking the landfill (trash) and recyclable materials that they generate to an All in the Hall station.

Lost and Found


  • Office Associate - Operations - Office Associates NMM, , 101 South HARH EC 0961, Phone: 402-472-3471

The School of Natural Resources will hold Lost and Found items in Room 101 Hardin Hall (Nebraska Maps & More Store), for a period of 30 days. Items not claimed after 30 days will be forwarded to the UNL Police Department or disposed of in accordance with UNL Policy.

See UNL Campus Police Lost and Found policies.

Notary Service


Notaries in Hardin Hall.

Students in the Academic Community

Students are encouraged to review what it means to be a student in the academic community at http://stuafs.unl.edu/dos/community.

In addition to a narrative description of The Student in the Academic Community, this site links to:

Vending Machines


Vending machines are available in north and south lobbies of Hardin Hall.

Contact the Office Associate for Operations to reports problems with the vending machines and to receive monetary refunds when a product is not dispensed, due to a machine malfunction.