Transfering Credits

Are you thinking about transferring to UNL from another college or university? Read the following information below to find out more about the process.

How does the transfer process work?

  1. Normally, you should visit with a faculty or professional advisor from the School of Natural Resources during the semester prior to your transfer to UNL. This provides an opportunity to discuss the available degree program and your career goals. The faculty or professional advisor can serve as your contact person during the transfer process:
  2. Check the Credit Transfer Evaluation tool:
  3. You then need to complete the transfer application form with the UNL Admissions office. As a part of your application, you will need to request your transcripts to be sent to UNL:
  4. A staff member in the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources will review your transcript and credit some of the more recognizable courses (English Composition, Intro to Psychology, History, etc.) toward the requirements at UNL.
  5. Some of your courses may not be immediately obvious to the University. For example, you may have a "Plant Biology" course, and we may require "Botany". Your new advisor will work with you following admission to address any courses that require approval of the major. It is very helpful if you save course syllabi and/or detailed course descriptions to share with your advisor during this process.

Is it in my best interest to go to a community college before coming to UNL?

At the School of Natural Resources, we design our programs as a 4-year curriculum to be taken at UNL, and we create unique learning experiences for each of those years. So, we believe it is in your best interest to enroll as a freshman at UNL. That said, some students find it more economical to start their college education at a local community college. In many ways, transfer students go through two "freshman" years—once at their first college or university, and then another new beginning at UNL. There are new faculty to meet, new buildings to find, and new programs to discover. We recognize this, and we work closely with transfer students to ensure an efficient start to their career at UNL. It is especially important to meet with an advisor to ensure required core courses are taken as early as practical – otherwise your ability to graduate within four years can be compromised.

What courses should I take at a community college if I plan to transfer to UNL's School of Natural Resources?

The following general titles of courses should transfer to UNL without difficulty. It is in your best interest to check with Karen Jackson (, transfer credit evaluation specialist for the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, to confirm specific courses at your institution.

Math courses

  • College Algebra, Trigonometry or Calculus (3-5 credits, required)Majors within the School of Natural Resources require math through either trigonometry (Environmental Restoration Science and Grassland Ecology and Management) or calculus (Fisheries & Wildlife and Water Sciences). If you can place directly into one of these courses, do so. If not, take the courses listed below to prepare. Placement into a math course at UNL requires passing a placement exam administered during New Student Enrollment. We highly recommend you review your math skills prior to taking this exam, and bring a scientific calculator to the exam.

Statistics courses

  • Intro to statistics (3 credits, required)

Communications courses

  • English Composition/Rhetoric I and II (3 credits each, required)
  • Speech Communication (3 credits, required)

Achievement-Centered Education Requirements (ACE)

The University of Nebraska requires 18 credits of Achievement-Centered Education (general education)courses for all majors within the School of Natural Resources.

  • ACE 5: Humanities (3 credits, required: history, literature, religion)
  • ACE 6: Economics (3 credits, required: Select from micro, macro, or ag econ)
  • ACE 7: Arts (3 credits, required: art history, drawing, world music, theatre)
  • ACE 8: Ethics, Civics, Stewardship (3 credits, required: philosophy, American politics)
  • ACE 9: Global Awareness (3 credits, required: introductory anthropology; Native American history or literature; African, Asian, Latin American, or Women's Studies; etc)
  • ACE Elective Hours: Choose 3 hours from area 5, 7, 8, or 9, required: (sociology, psychology, political science, etc) NOTE: Fisheries and Wildlife students fulfill this requirement at UNL by taking NRES 323 Natural Resources Policy.

Physical Science courses

  • General Chemistry I and II (8 credits, required)
  • Physics (4 credits, required)

Natural Sciences courses

  • General Biology (4 credits, required)

Specifically what will I miss if I'm not at University of Nebraska?

The table below lists the unique courses (usually not available at most community colleges) during the first two years at UNL, and our suggestions for transferring students.

Course Description
NRES 101 Natural Resources Orientation A 1-credit introduction to natural resources required of Fisheries and Wildlife majors; students develop close ties with their advisor and other students in the program. Sophomore transfer students in Fisheries and Wildlife should take NRES 101. Because of scheduling issues, most junior transfer students have the requirement waived.
NRES 103 Intro to Ag, Food, and Natural Resource Systems A 3-credit course that covers environmental issues and exposes students to the UNL library system. Sophomore transfer students should take NRES 103. Juniors have the course waived, but may take a 1-credit introductory course to the University library system (LIBR 110) if desired.
BIOS 112 Zoology or BIOS 109 Botany 4-credit lab courses taken during the freshman and sophomore year. For Fisheries and Wildlife, both of these courses are required. For all other majors, students may choose one.
NRES 220 Ecology A 4-credit lab course in the fall of the sophomore year that introduces students to relationships between organisms and their environment. Transfer students may take Ecology during their first fall at UNL (General Biology course required).
Major Requirements Requirements for each specific major. Please contact academic advisor for specifics.

Want more information?

Undergraduate Advising
(Fisheries & Wildlife majors)

Kenneth Pyle

School of Natural Resources
102a South Hardin Hall
3310 Holdredge Street

Lincoln, NE 68583-0981 US

(All other SNR majors)

Sara Winn

School of Natural Resources
912 South Hardin Hall
3310 Holdredge Street

Lincoln, NE 68583-0989 US